Most people don’t think about funerals and funeral homes in Clarksville, TN until it’s time to plan or visit one. This is understandable, but it’s not helpful when you’re suddenly facing a loss and have to plan a funeral. Use this list of six unknown funeral home facts to help you be better prepared.
- Military Funeral Services – Military funeral service honors are given to members of the United States Armed Forces that consist of the Marines, Army, National Guard, Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard. The individual must also meet one or more the following requirements: died in active duty or Selective Reserve, completed at least one term of enlistment or initial obligated service in the Selective Reserve, and were not dishonorably discharged, or served on active duty, or in the Selected Reserve, and were not dishonorably discharged.
- You Cannot Authorize Your Own Funeral – While you can preplan and prepay for your funeral, you cannot sign the final authorization for your own burial or cremation because of the Right to Control law. This law, except in situations where a funeral agent is designated, outlines a specific family hierarchy that shows who has the right to authorize the funeral of a recently deceased person.
- Headstones for Military Services – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can also furnish a headstone at no cost. These veteran’s headstones are available for any veteran regardless of the date of death. The headstones are available in bronze, marble, and granite in various styles to match existing headstones in the place of burial. This same service is available for cremated remains in the form of niche markers for the columbarium. While the headstone itself is free of charge, the family is in charge of all installation fees.
- Coffins and Caskets Are Two Different Things – Coffins and caskets are different things. Coffins have six sides and are shaped like a hexagon to go along with the lines of a human body, meaning tapered at the head and foot with a wider construction at the shoulder. A casket, on the other hand, is rectangular with four sides adjoined at right angles.
- Embalming is Optional – Embalming is not always required by law. You can choose to skip embalming or be embalmed with eco-friendly preservatives. You always have the right to choose a body disposition method that does not require embalming if you don’t want to be embalmed. However, some funeral homes may require embalming depending on public viewings of the body and similar services.
- You Can Compare Prices – Prices actually vary from one funeral home to another, and you have the right to call and ask what prices are in order to compare. Funeral homes must provide you with a General Price List that outlines their prices when asked as per California state law. Always do your research to make sure you’re getting a good deal, and don’t be afraid to ask for a price list as per your rights.
These are only six out of many unknown funeral facts. Want to learn more about Clarksville, TN funeral homes, and military funeral services? Just get in touch with Sykes Funeral Home & Crematory today.