Death is never easy, but it becomes especially difficult when you’re faced with all the steps between your loved one’s death and the Clarksville, TN funeral home. Use this list of 8 steps to help guide you through the process and make your lost loved one’s funeral go smoothly.
- Report the Death – The first step is to report the death to the proper authorities. If the death is at a hospital, nursing home, or hospice, the officials there will know what to do and will make the report for you. If you are at home, or have no other options, call 911.
- Prepare to Work With A Funeral Director – You will need the assistance of a funeral director to complete the death certificate, transport and store the body. Take note if the deceased made pre-arrangements for his or her funeral and be prepared to relay these wishes to the funeral director.
- Pick a Type of Service – There are several service options you need to be prepared to choose from:
- Funerals, in which the service is held before the body is cremated or buried and the body is present
- Memorials, in which the service is help after the body is buried or cremated and therefore not present
- Graveside services in which the funeral takes place at the grave
- Make Cemetery Arrangements – If you choose a burial rather than a cremation you will need to make cemetery arrangements. Decide where the burial will take place, and if necessary, purchase a plot. If you’re unsure where to start, your funeral home will most likely be affiliated with a cemetery and can help you find a plot. You could also check with your church, synagogue or other place of worship for further guidance.
- Make Funeral Arrangements – Feel free to get creative when making funeral arrangements to make the service personal and meaningful. Flowers, music, pre or post service events and other special touches help make the service personal for you and the deceased.
- Plan Formal Transportation – If you choose to do a burial, you will need a hearse to move the body from the funeral location to the burial location. Most funeral homes have one available for use and will include that cost in the overall funeral bill.
- Inform the Family and Write Death Notice – Personally inform all close family, friends and loved ones of the death, ideally over the phone or in person. If you’re nervous, take the time to write a script to help you make key points. Don’t forget to write and release a death notice to notify the rest of the friends, coworkers, associates etc.
- List Pre-Funeral Tasks – Make a list of what you need to accomplish before the funeral to help you stay organized and not forget anything important. This list could include your attire, personal items or collecting photos.
If you want more information on Clarksville, TN funeral homes and their services, just reach out to Sykes Funeral Home & Crematory by visiting 424 Franklin St Clarksville, TN 37040 or calling (931) 647-1562.